Common Carrier Question

Eric Germann ekgermann at cctec.com
Thu Apr 13 21:57:02 UTC 2006

Folks,

I'm working on a graduate policy paper regarding Internet filtering by
blocking ASN's or IP prefixes.  It is a variation of Net Neutrality, just
by a different name.

Is anyone in the IANAL field aware of any cases where :

a.  an ISP successfully defended a common carrier position
b.  an ISP unsuccessfully defended a common carrier position
c.  an ISP was treated as a common carrier, even if didn't want to be.
d.  an ISP was not treated as a common carrier, even if they wanted to.

It seems to be way back in the 90's, Compuserve may have been involved in
one variation of the above, but the cobwebs are too thick.

Replies off list and I will summarize if there is interest.

Eric