Open Letter to D-Link about their NTP vandalism

Alain Hebert ahebert at pubnix.net
Thu Apr 13 04:03:29 UTC 2006

    Well,

    With the way you named your address book (North American Noise and
Off-topic Gripes).

    We now know where to fill your futur comments.
    (In the killfile that is)

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 01:32:26PM -0500, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>

>>On the plus side, after seeing D-Link's (lack of) reaction to this, I'll
>>bet none of us will buy another of their products again.
>>

>If it was legal to sell whatever you people are smoking that makes you
>think dlink gives a flying crap about you as customers, I'd be a very rich
>man. What part of "mass consumer product" isn't clear here, 99.9% of their
>target market doesn't know NTP is, and doesn't care.
>
>I am absolutely appalled by the number of "slashdot warriors" here, ready
>to launch a crusade of spreading misinformation to the media in hopes of
>obtaining a large monetary payout or otherwise causing dlink, in the name
>of "doing the right thing", and without any consideration or understanding
>of the facts at hand. You know why dlink can't just come forward and say
>"woops we're sorry, we didn't see that you wanted this used for DIX
>members only, our bad"? Because they have to contend with people who will
>take that apology and then use it in court as an admission of guilt, and
>seek many tens of thousands of dollars or more in non-existent damages.

    As a (older, since '87) operator of a small network, I'll always
help other operators when its question of making the 'net better.

    Good luck advocating the next turd coming from sub-standard design
flow that contributed to the DIX issues with DLink.

    Me, I prefer to strive for excellence...

>I think we all know that dlink was wrong. They should have double-checked
>the list of NTP servers they included in their default shipping firmware
>to make certain that the owners were ok with having their services used
>publically, there is no question about this. However, just because they
>made this mistake, it is not an excuse for everyone involved to start
>cashing in like they hit the lottery. Imagine that you get rear ended in
>traffic by an inattentive driver, and they dent your bumper. Yes it is
>their fault, yes they made a mistake and they should be responsible for
>it, but it is not okay for you to start screaming whiplash as soon as you
>see that you got hit by a Mercedes. It also doesn't mean that you are
>going to get a new car instead of them paying to have your bumper fixed.

    FYI I didn't read anything about somebody looking to make money on
this...

>If anyone else is going to carry this as a story, please act responsibly
>and do a little fact checking. We're talking about 37 packets/sec, less
>than a dialup worth of bandwidth, and any number of technical solutions
>which could completely mitigate that traffic without ANY additional
>expenses. Also, IANAL, but I think that refusing to take reasonable action
>to mitigate the damages because you feel the other party is "at fault" and
>should be 100% responsible is probably a good way to hurt any kind of case
>you might actually have against them too.

    Yeap.... x packets/sec times millions...

Alain Hebert                                ahebert at pubnix.net
PubNIX Inc.
P.O. Box 175       Beaconsfield, Quebec     H9W 5T7
tel 514-990-5911   http://www.pubnix.net    fax 514-990-9443