Open Letter to D-Link about their NTP vandalism

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed Apr 12 18:32:26 UTC 2006

Thus spake "Alexei Roudnev" <alex at relcom.net>
> Hmm, if some idiot wrote my NTP IP into his hardware, I just stop to
> monitor my NTP and make sure that it have few hours of error in time.
> No one require me to CLAIM that I set up wrong time, BUT no one can
> require me to maintain correct time just because some idiots use my
> server.

What most people participating in this subthread seem to be missing is that
if one did decide to send (or accidentally sent) false time to these D-Link
devices, NOBODY WOULD EVER KNOW OR CARE.  Doing so does not solve any
problems, so whatever the legal risk of acting is, no matter how small, it's
not worth it.

On the plus side, after seeing D-Link's (lack of) reaction to this, I'll bet
none of us will buy another of their products again.

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin