Open Letter to D-Link about their NTP vandalism

Joe Maimon jmaimon at ttec.com
Wed Apr 12 12:13:20 UTC 2006

Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> In article <cistron.Pine.GSO.4.61.0604111656450.15259 at pants.snark.net>,
> Matt Ghali  <matt at snark.net> wrote:
>
>>>.or do you think that TCP/IP connection
>>>should be held open until the message can be scanned for spam and
>>>viruses just so we can give a 550 MESSAGE REJECTED error instead of
>>>silently dropping it?
>>
>>absolutely. is that actually a problem, today, in 2006?
>

> RCPT TO: <user1 at domain>
> RCPT TO: <user2 at domain>
> DATA
> .
>
> .. after content scanning, user1 wants the mail, user2 doesn't.
> Now what ?
>
> Mike.

Three choices

Screw user1
Screw user2
Screw sender by dropping user2 from recipient list

Its only on the third choice that you have to decide whether or not to
notify the sender with a bounce.

A patched sendmail can prevent a milter from performing a reject of an
email as requested by a milter, if some of the recipients do not want
the protection offered.