well-known NTP? (Re: Open Letter to D-Link about their NTP vandalism)

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Wed Apr 12 11:03:25 UTC 2006

 From my Fritzbox log:

Apr 12 06:27:29 multid[360]: dns: 0.europe.pool.ntp.org: query
Apr 12 06:27:30 multid[360]: dns: 0.europe.pool.ntp.org: 82.71.9.63 ttl=79 from 192.168.180.1.
Apr 12 06:27:30 multid[360]: sending SNTP request to server 0.europe.pool.ntp.org (82.71.9.63)
Apr 12 06:27:30 multid[360]: The NTP time is 12.4.2006  04:27:29.150000 UTC
Apr 12 06:27:30 multid[360]: system time is 1.007000 seconds ahead
Apr 12 06:27:30 multid[360]: adjusting time backward 1.007000 seconds

Seems to do that every 8 hours.

I could not find a config file. Compiled into "/sbin/multid" ?

I guess similar devices like the maudit D-Link are much the same. Only that
multid deamon seems to be AVM specific. If that NTP thing is from the non
disclosed und unGPLed TI source then best forget about it. Replace it by some
wellknown software that is known not to be nasty.

Another router that is not compatible and not especially a good router -
has an html interface where you can put it your favourite NTP server.

I still wonder why I cannot configure the NTP server but at least it is not
as nasty as the D-Link.

Peter

--
Peter and Karin Dambier