Open Letter to D-Link about their NTP vandalism

Alain Hebert ahebert at pubnix.net
Tue Apr 11 20:56:20 UTC 2006

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 15:00:14 CDT, Robert Bonomi said:
>

>>1) _Who_says_ it is 'false data'?  *Who*knows* what that machines is 'supposed'
>>to provide TO WHOM?
>>

>I think if you are handing another machine an NTP packet that's intentionally
>set several months off just to get them to shut up, you *know* the answer
>to "is it false data".
>

>>I submit that;
>>1) If the query originator is 'entitled' to make assumptions about what the
>>

>>2) It would seem that the server operator is *equally* 'entitled' to make
>>   assumptions about what the query means, and
>>3) to respond in a manner consistent with _his_ understanding of what the
>>   query originater 'wanted'.
>>

>>If the query originator fails to 'get what he wanted', due to his failure
>>to communicate _in_advance_ with the server operator, *WHO* is to blame?
>>

>I suppose pointing out that the Internet works because providers *cooperate*
>and *agree on protocols* would be pointless....

    Yeap ... cooperate...  Which DLink is not doing.

    All legal discussion end the same way...  a dead end.

    Half are scared by lawyer and the other have enought intestinal
fortitude to put them in there place.

    (At the bottom of the sea hopefully)

Alain Hebert                                ahebert at pubnix.net
PubNIX Inc.
P.O. Box 175       Beaconsfield, Quebec     H9W 5T7
tel 514-990-5911   http://www.pubnix.net    fax 514-990-9443