Open Letter to D-Link about their NTP vandalism

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Tue Apr 11 17:29:14 UTC 2006

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 02:04:39AM -0400, Alain Hebert wrote:
> Paul Vixie wrote:
> >simon at darkmere.gen.nz (Simon Lyall) writes:
> >>I've said in other forums the only solution for this sort of software is
> >>to return the wrong time (by several months). The owner might actually
> >>notice then and fix the problem.
> >
> >that creates new liability, and isn't realistic in today's litigious world.
> >
>    (Suprise to read that from PV.)

Why?  It may be the voice of experience.  In this country, and in many
others with hypertrophied legal systems, one may sue another for any
reason whatsoever.  If the person bringing suit picks the judge
carefully, the suit might even not be recognised as idiotic and thrown
out immediately as without merit.

It is obvious that D-Link should not be doing this to DIX, no matter how
short a skirt DIX may be wearing.  [;-)]

However, why should DIX try to turn around and do likewise to innocent
D-Link customers, even given that most of them would not notice it?

--
Joe Yao