Open Letter to D-Link about their NTP vandalism

John Underhill stepnwlf at magma.ca
Tue Apr 11 14:28:32 UTC 2006

It seems to me, that the only *real* solution is for these manufacturers to
implement a [responsible] strategy of automatic firmware upgrades, as it
pertains to these (simple eu type) devices.
How difficult would it be to have the router test a server periodically,
(say once a month), and in the case of a critical flaw in the software,
silently update the device?
I suspect it is cost/benefit skepticism that is keeping them from doing just
that.

John