Open Letter to D-Link about their NTP vandalism

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Sat Apr 8 00:16:03 UTC 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 06:49:18PM -0400, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> Seriously now, there are a million viable solutions here, ranging from
> mild inconvenience to attempting to screw dlink for being dumbasses, all
> of which are free. Point the A record else where and have people who care
> change to a new record, it's not worth $62k.

	yeah, i went and dug through our netflow records and even pegged
the ip up for a few seconds on a router to collect a few requests and saw
very little traffic to this IP.

	My suggestion is rename from gps -> gps1 and drop the gps
dns name.  That combined with some bind/whatever views that
scope the dns responses are effective since it's a DNS name.

	While it's similar to the wiscnet stuff, it's not identical
and can be [easily] mitigated.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net