Open Letter to D-Link about their NTP vandalism

Etaoin Shrdlu shrdlu at deaddrop.org
Fri Apr 7 19:52:29 UTC 2006

Well, this is at least marginally on topic, and I think it deserves a
wider audience. It is written by Poul-Henning Kamp (the affected party).
Please read it.

http://people.freebsd.org/~phk/dlink/

It ends with the following:

Didn't something like this happen before?

Yes, D-Link is not the first vendor to make a hash of the NTP protocol.
Some years back NetGear products blasted University of Wisconsin off the
net. I have repeatedly pointed D-Link's lawyer at this case.
Fortunately, in my case it is not that bad.

The NetGear incident caused the NTP protocol designers to add a "kiss of
death" option to the Latest (S)NTP standard but D-Links devices does not
respect that option. I have tried.

--
"You can't have in a democracy various groups with arms - you have
to have the state with a monopoly on power," Condoleeza Rice,