Proxy/Caching Servers

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Fri Apr 7 16:16:28 UTC 2006

On 7-Apr-2006, at 12:06, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 06, 2006 at 04:41:26PM -0400, Alain Hebert wrote:
>>    Hummm.... squid.
>>
>>    With a touch of haproxy...  (Or for those with money....
>> ServerIron's)
>
> Do Foundry ServerIrons proxy and cache, or just switch?

ServerIrons don't cache. They can be used for transparent redirection
of requests to a cache (I think), and to support multiple caches in a
load-sharing configuration (for sure). Other vendors of similar
products are cisco (formerly Arrowpoint) and Nortel (formerly Alteon).

If you're looking for this kind of fanciness in your switches, you
should also check out products by f5 networks. I have never used
their switches, but I heard some impressive stories about what you
can do with them the other week in Wellington.

Joe