IP ranges, re- announcing 'PA space' via BGP, etc

Alexander Koch efraim at clues.de
Fri Apr 7 09:06:36 UTC 2006

Folks,

I see very often that customers in the US send morespecs all
over the place, deaggregate whole /14s or such scary crap,
ask us to accept random stuff out of 4/8 and 8/8 (L3 space)
by example.

I am practically asking what is (if any) the normal way for
any of this. I am working by the principle that not everything
I could do I should do, especially not right away. Is there
any accepted procedure / policy for anyone to a) announce and
b) accept (the transit supplier) and have that sanctioned
formally? Maybe nobody cares, then tell me. ;-)

Coming from Europe where pretty much everyone is RIPE LIR and
has its own /21 at the least I might not see the problem that
allegedly some (many) US ISPs do have. Enlighten me.

(And, no, I do not fall for the urban legend that RIPE or ARIN
are by default evil, clearly not. I do have real- life
experience that whenever you can rightfully justify even large
IP assignments you do get it.)

Thanks,
Alexander