Colocation RFQ?

Graham Freeman graham.freeman at cernio.com
Wed Apr 5 06:57:19 UTC 2006

Hi, folks,

I run a small colocation cooperative in Northern California.  Our
numbers are growing rapidly, and we're looking to expand from a half-
cab to a full-cab in the next few months.  We'll probably also expand
from our current 1Mbps at 95% to at least 2Mbps at 95%, but we're also
considering a 10Mbps at 95% commit if the pricing is right.  (For
example, there's at least one similar group who'll join us if we can
sell them 1Mbps at 95% and 1U for $100/mo or less.)

We've been very happy at Sonic.net in Santa Rosa, CA for the last
couple of years, and it's entirely possible that we'll stay.
However, we're shopping around to make sure we make the best decision
when our current contract comes to term in a few months.

We want to end up with a reputable, honest, proactive, spam-hostile,
well-connected, well-run colo service provider in a well-engineered,
well-run carrier-neutral facility in the San Francisco Bay Area.
We're not looking for bargain-basement pricing - we'd like to retain
a high quality of service - but neither can we afford to pay
exorbitant rates.  It'd be ideal if our primary vendor was big enough
to make things happen but small enough so that we'd represent a
significant revenue stream.

I've seen recent traffic on this list about RFPs in the context of
purchasing transit.  Would anyone mind sharing a sample colocation
RFQ, or advice for creating such a document?  For example, what
should I specify about network characteristics such as provider
diversity and performance without A) missing something important and
B) excluding potentially worthwhile vendors?  My overall goal is to
collect as much relevant information as possible in a way that makes
it easy to normalize for apples-to-apples comparisons.  I'd
appreciate any help you could provide.

Thanks!

Graham Freeman
Cernio Technology Cooperative
http://cernio.com/colocation/
graham.freeman at cernio.com
(No sales phone calls, please.)

(Re-sent because I was initially subscribed to nanog with a different
address than the one I used on nanog-post.  Apologies if this shows
up twice!)