OT: Xen

Eric Frazier eric at dmcontact.com
Mon Apr 3 19:05:25 UTC 2006

At 12:01 PM 4/3/2006, Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

> > Xen's bigges strength really is in the colocation business.  With
>VX-enabled
> > machines, it is capable of running instrumented OS's (Linux,
>Free/NetBSD) at
> > almost native speeds, and non-instrumented OS's (Windows, Solaris) with
> > couple-% hit.  It's that flexibility that leads to colo as the market
>where
> > Xen shines.
>
>People seem to be thinking that Xen is only for sharing
>a colo machine with somebody else. But it could just as
>well be used for one organization to isolate each major
>application to a single virtual server, i.e. email server,
>general web server, wiki server, hot web app server,
>Asterisk server, etc. This way, when one of the applications
>justifies its own server, migration is somewhat simpler
>because it is not entangled with other applications.

Now that is what I have in mind. For me this is esp important where I have
something nasty like a guy hosting a bunch of forums that are always not
getting updated and getting defaced or worse. Until now I have had a dirty
machine for stuff I know could lead to problems like that. But that brings
up another question, how far isolated are different instances from each
other really?