OT: Xen

Eric Frazier eric at dmcontact.com
Mon Apr 3 15:50:51 UTC 2006

Hi,

Speaking of commercial support, I have been looking really closely at using
Solaris 10 which includes Zones.
I am not so much concerned about the OS games, but very much concerned
about the HW % utilization issue that this could help solve. From what I
have found with Solaris Zones it is VERY easy to setup and configure. The
question that I got flamed on a while back for being off topic, how do you
get two different DHCP addresses from difference sources on the same
interface, can be solved by using Zones for example.

But there has been so much press lately about Xen. And from what I read in
Linux mag recently there is HW support that totally changes how efficient
Xen can be.  So one thing I am wondering, with Zones you can setup a new
instance that is a copy of another pretty much instantly. Does Xen offer
the same thing? Or do you still have to go through an install process for
example? I am esp wondering about this with something like XP..

Thanks,

Eric