AT&T: 15 Mbps Internet connections "irrelevant"

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Sun Apr 2 02:55:58 UTC 2006

smells to me of "our backbone just can't support that network
neutrality stuff.  we need to limit all those folk who won't
pay us more money."  and the hellcos need to get out of their
promises of ftth and etth.

face it.  the packet transport business is in a keen contest
for financial unviability with long distance minutes, charging
$15 for replicating a cd-rom, etc.  and they have yet to take
and they don't get that complicating the network to get
service differentiation so they can justify charging
differentiation will make the business even less profitable.
see geoff's apricot preso.

when you have a giant company with a broken business model,
send in the lawyers and lobbyists to extend it a few years.
after all, it's kinda working for the mpa and riaa.

randy