AT&T: 15 Mbps Internet connections "irrelevant"

Frank Bulk frnkblk at iname.com
Sat Apr 1 21:54:33 UTC 2006

Simon:

Our regional head-end is adding MPEG4 in the next 3-6 months, so we're on
the same bandwagon.  Unfortunately, we've spent $$$ on MPEG2-only STB.  It
looks like we could be transport MPEG2 and MPEG4 around our local transport
rings for a long time.  We'll use the MPEG4 for customers who want HD, the
rest will get upgraded as we can afford to.

We have a few customers that have 4 or 5 TVs and want STBs for each one of
them, and besides the fact that we have difficulty getting 20 Mbps on
medium-range loops, we end up installing two modems because our BLC
infrastructure is only configured for three streams.  This will hopefully be
resolves in future releases.

Yes, there are quite a few MPEG4-capable STB vendors with lots of middleware
vendors standing behind them, but I challenge you to document one
STB/middleware combination in GA.  I haven't seen it.  Talk to me in six
months, and it will be a different story.

Frank