AT&T: 15 Mbps Internet connections "irrelevant"

Marshall Eubanks tme at multicasttech.com
Sat Apr 1 21:09:46 UTC 2006

Hello;

On Apr 1, 2006, at 3:54 PM, Simon Lockhart wrote:

> On Sat Apr 01, 2006 at 01:26:51PM -0600, Frank Bulk wrote:
>> The majority of U.S.-based IP TV deployments are not using MPEG-4
>
> Agreed. However, I'd say that any IPTV provider currently using
> MPEG2 would
> be planning a migration to MPEG4/H.264 - half the bandwidth means
> double the
> channels.

Also, I think that the majority of IP TV deployments right now are
not in the US.

>> in fact,
>> you would be hard-pressed to find an MPEG-4 capable STB working with
>> middleware.
>
> I disagree. There are several MPEG4 capable STB available now, and
> they all
> have support of middleware vendors.

In the last IPTV trade show I went to (TVoDSL in Paris in January), I
don't recall a single
MPEG STB or IPTV system vendor who wasn't either showing or promising
H.264 support.

>> SD MPEG-2 runs around ~4 Mbps today and HD MPEG-2 is ~19 Mbps.
>> With ADSL2+
>> you can get up to 24 Mbps per home on very short loops, but if you
>> look at
>> the loop length/rate graphs, you'll see that even with VDSL2 only
>> the very
>> short loops will have sufficient capacity for multiple HD
>> streams.  FTTP/H
>> is inevitable.
>
> Anyone looking to do HD will be looking at H.264, and looking to
> bring the
> bandwidth requirement down to 8-10Mbps. That is certainly more
> practical with
> ADSL2+ deployments (unless you want more than one STB per DSL).

Which you would in the US, but maybe not everywhere (yet).

> Simon
> (Currently working on an H.264 IPTV deployment)
> --

Regards
Marshall