AT&T: 15 Mbps Internet connections "irrelevant"

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Sat Apr 1 19:02:13 UTC 2006

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, Marshall Eubanks wrote:

> If AT&T is really claiming that their backbone has less than 15 Mbps
> capacity (which is how "the backbone doesn't transport at those speeds"
> reads in plain English), this is either

Maybe they meant that the typical end-user windows IP stack has small
enough TCP windows that when you take into account typical latency across
the internet, those users just can't utilize their high bandwidth links
due to the bandwidth * delay product.

> - an April Fools joke or
> - pitiful.

Could be either.  Did you happen to catch the woman from Verizon at the
last NANOG who was sure parts of New Orleans were 2 miles below sea level?
Maybe that was a really early AFJ.