[Pr-plan] Public-Root resolution problems and UNIDT (fwd)

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Fri Sep 30 13:57:47 UTC 2005

Statement of the Official Public-Root Representative

September 29, 2005

This communication is published on the Internet at URL:

http://www.cynikal.net/~baptista/P-R/2005-09-29%20Memo%20to%20the%20Internet%20Community.pdf

Memo to the Internet Community
Public-Root resolution problems

I in my capacity as the Official Public-Root Representative and
whistle-blower, asked Peter Dambier to publish to NANOG a notice that the
Public-Root had fractured. Namely, the root in Ankara operated by Celep
Bahadir who is also the UNIDT (www.unidt.com) representative to Turkey and
the Middle East.

There was an attempt by UNIDT to start a new root system called the
United-Root. Attempts by Ankara to test this root on l.public-root.net at
195.214.191.125 resulted in a fracturing of the public-root network.

The Ankara root injected a number of older records into the DNS resulting
in false answers to queries. Ankara was also listing as root servers some
DNS that pointed back to ICANN data and did not resolve the Public-Root.
This was very unprofessional behavior on behalf of UNIDT resulting in a
serious violation of their contractual obligations to the Public-Root.

I sent several email communications to UNIDT General Manager Mr. Marty
van Veluw pointing out the problem. I am pleased to announce the problem
is corrected now but no official response was received back from Mr. Van
Veluw. The last time Ankara was checked it was found the root server is
out of sync with the remaining Public-Root network. This is also very
unprofessional. I have sent email messages to Mr. van Veluw pointing out
the problem.

Unfortunately I consider UNIDT unstable and expect they may intentionally
jeopardize the root in order to break their contracts with us. Mr. Martijn
Burger the chair of INAIC and Public-Root has advised me Mr. van Veluw may
close down the Ankara server in the near future. This would also
constitute a violation of the contract between UNIDT and the Public-Root.

I continue to maintain my position that any administrator using the
public-root should select another root system during this period of
reorganization.

I also want to take this time to criticize NANOG (North American Network
Operators Group) and the inclusive and alternative namespace communities.
However, my main concern is NANOG. I find the fact the people of Turkey
are being the subject of technical jokes on NANOG appalling.

Anyone who understands the importance of root servers also understands the
fiduciary responsibilities that go with such an operation. The technical
problems with the public-root pale when one reviews the people involved. I
regret to say that hackers and criminals are behind the Public-Root.
Therefore, this is not a joke, this is a serious issue. The people of
Turkey and Tiscali users have been surfing the Internet using a system
that can compromise their security and privacy.

I hope in future the NANOG and root communities will be more responsive
and civil.

- 33 -

Joe Baptista, Official Public-Root Representative and Lobbyist to the
United States Congress and Senate / Tel: +1 (202) 517-1593

Public-Root Disclosure Documents: http://www.cynikal.net/~baptista/P-R/