[political pontification] Re: Turkey has switched Root-Servers

Tony Li tony.li at tony.li
Thu Sep 29 21:25:51 UTC 2005

On Sep 29, 2005, at 2:08 PM, Randy Bush wrote:

>> Saudi Arabia, Iran, Northern Nigeria, and China are not likely to
>> have the same liberal views as, say, the Netherlands or Denmark.
>> Saudi Arabia and China, like some other nations, extensively filter
>> their Internet connection and have created government agencies to
>> protect their society from web sites that officials view as immoral.
>>

> and in the united states, we're madly hiring new fbi agents
> to protect our society from web sites our officials view as
> immoral.

I should have made my comment more specific: what is the problem with
single namespace without ccTLDs and without per-country exceptions?
Assuming that we can reach consensus on namespace administration (a
process that should only take another decade or so ;-),  it would
seem that operating within that consensus would be in the best
interests of all.

Per-country exceptions just creates more Balkanization of the
Internet, which hardly seems beneficial.

Tony