[eng/rtg][vendor specific] changing loopbacks

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Thu Sep 29 20:05:45 UTC 2005

So, on vendor C boxes you might be able to get away from having to do
a full reboot to change your OSPF ID by doing a "clear ip ospf process".
If you don't do this, even though you change the loopback address,
your router will still keep the old address as the OSPF router ID[1].
You won't actually end up with a route to the old loopback, but it
will still be in the OSPF database.
While this is less than optimal, it will still work (note, I don't
recommend running your network like this!). It is somewhat
disconcerting if you don't know that changing loopback address
doesn't automatically change OSPF ID[2] and look in your OSPF
database and see addresses that you shouldn't / you retired, etc,
especially because most people only page through their OSPF database
when they suspect something is odd...

Warren Kumari
[1] As with most things, I am sure that the exact behavior depends
upon hardware and software version, phase of moon, flavor of
doughnut, etc.
[2] Sure it seem obvious when you thin about it, but most people
don't seem to think.