Turkey has switched Root-Servers

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Sep 28 03:51:38 UTC 2005

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:56:50 EDT, Robert Boyle said:

> I don't think Cisco, Sun, Microsoft, or any other companies do either. When
> I look for a company, I don't care or need to know where they are located
> most of the time - unless I am ordering a pizza, but that is a different
> story...

You have it totally backwards.  The problem is that with a single flat .com
space, you have *NO WAY* of knowing where a company is located most of the time,
and a lot more things resemble pizzas than they resemble cookie-cutter computer
hardware sold to us by cookie-cutter salesdroids...

Consider smartway.com and smartways.com and smartwaybus.com.  Only one of them
has the bus schedule I needed.

And I'm pretty sure that neither shelor.com nor glo-dot.com doesn't need to be
taking a slot in the *global* address space.  In fact, they have a number of
things in common - neither is a global concern in any realistic sense, I've
done business with both of them, in both cases the business was entirely due to
geographic location, and in neither case did their presence in the .com domain
make *any* difference in the slightest.  And in both cases, their name precludes
the usage by *anybody* *else* *anywhere* in *any* field.

I've bought a *lot* of music gear at Rocket Music.  But rocketmusic.com isn't them.
It isn't rocket-music.com either. They're actually at rocketmusic.net.  More
trademark collision at its finest.

Let's face it - 40 million things dumped into one .com without a yellow pages
is a stupid way to run a network.  But it's what we're stuck with.