Corruption and Monopoly is the real Issue (was Re: Turkey has switched Root-Servers)

John Palmer (NANOG Acct) nanog at adns.net
Wed Sep 28 03:33:43 UTC 2005

> Is your problem that it takes X months/years to get a new TLD put into the
> normal ICANN Root system? Or is it that you don't like their choice of
> .com and want .common (or some other .com replacement?). There is a
> process defined to handle adding new TLD's, I think it's even documented
> in an RFC? (I'm a little behind in my NRIC reading about this actually,
> sorry) Circumventing a process simply because it's not 'fast enough'
> isn't really an answer (in my opinion atleast) especially when it
> effectivly breaks the complete system.

No, the process is locked up by monopolistic ICANN.

There is one issue no one has mentioned lately. There are people who
have spend hundreds of thousands of dollars developing their TLD properties
and they are effectivly being shut out of the market by ICANN.

We shouldn't need ICANN's permission to operate our TLDs and if
ICANN wont support our TLDs, then we need an alternative way
to operate our businesses. We have a right to operate our TLDs and
the Inclusive Namespace is the way, since it does not force us to pay
"protection money" or force us to impose the horrid UDRP on our
customers.

A free market system would allow all business models to exist. ICANN and
its bureaucracy is not needed, just a contractor to maintain the root zone file.

ICANN was supposed to be a bottom-up, democratic, consensus driven
organization and board members (a significant portion of them) elected
by the internet citizens of the world. Almost before the ink was dry on
the MOU, ICANN, under Mr. Roberts began backing down on their
responsibility to operate the organization in a democratic way. Now
very few (if any) of the board members are directly elected by internet
citizens.

The result: ICANN is a corrupt monopoly that attempts to shut out
competitors. If they want something, the steal it, just like they stole
.BIZ from Leah Gallegos.

THAT is the problem with ICANN, and you know damn well it is.