Turkey has switched Root-Servers

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Tue Sep 27 21:36:29 UTC 2005

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Peter Dambier wrote:

> Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
> > I'm confused by the reasoning behind this public-root (alternate root)
> > problem... It seems to me (minus crazy-pills of course) that there is no
> > way for it to work, ever. So why keep trying to push it and break other
> > things along the way?
>
> Paul Vixie has given very good arguments.

paul often does, yes.

> Let me add a design fault:
> >
> The Public-Root has got 3043 domains. ICANNs root has got only 263.
>
> There is a political design problem with ICANNs root. It has not got
> enough toplevel domains.

'not enough'... how much is 'enough'? by your calculations or mine or
pauls or G.W. Bush's?

Is your problem that it takes X months/years to get a new TLD put into the
normal ICANN Root system? Or is it that you don't like their choice of
.com and want .common (or some other .com replacement?). There is a
process defined to handle adding new TLD's, I think it's even documented
in an RFC? (I'm a little behind in my NRIC reading about this actually,
sorry) Circumventing a process simply because it's not 'fast enough'
isn't really an answer (in my opinion atleast) especially when it
effectivly breaks the complete system.

> DNS was designed as a tree. It was designed decentralised.
>
> DNS today has degenerated to a flat file like /etc/hosts was.

uhm, how so? certainly the tree and decentralized functions still exist.

> It is no longer decentralised but stored mostly in a single registry.

huh? how so? Because 25M of the 35M 2nd level domains are in .com? isn't
that more a function of 'everyone knows www.company.com' than anything
else? I can't get people inside my company to realize (well, couldn't when
it mattered to me) remeber that my email address was chris at uu.NET ... they
always wanted to send to chris at uu.net.COM.

.COM got more registrations simply, it seems to me, via marketting.

> No wonder that some people try a Public-Root that is independent but
> compatible to ICANNs root. They do it since about 1995. They never
> stopped. The name changed. The players mostly did not. With every new
> version of this Public-Root compared to the Monopoly-Root, the number of
> players gets more. The number of customers gets more.

people love crack, it's still not a good idea to smoke it.