Address Space & ASN Allocation Process

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Tue Sep 27 01:27:29 UTC 2005

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Vicky Rode wrote:

> Just trying to get some clarity and direction regarding obtaining
> address space/ASN for my client.
>
> Is there a minimum address space (?) an entity would need to justify to
> go directly to RIR (ARIN in this case) as opposed to the upstream
> provider? Is /20 the minimum allocation? Can my client approach RIR and
> request for a /23?

If you ask for a /23, at this point, ARIN will most likely tell them to
get additional space from their upstream.  If the organization is
utilizing at least a /23's worth of space now and ready to multihome, they
can request a /22 from ARIN.  Their IPv4 allocation policies are
documented here:

http://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four

> If my client do procure a /23 how do they make make sure that this
> address space will be globally routable?

I would recommend they register a maintainer, AS and appropriate route
objects in the RADB or one of the many IRR mirrors.  Some carriers build
their filters based off of IRR data.  That's still not a guarantee of
global routability, but keeping their records in good order is a good
start.

> Multihome will also be part of their network implementation, can they
> apply for an ASN number?

They can apply if they're close to being ready (within 30 days) to
multihome.

You (your client) needs to be able to announce at least one /24 to two or
more upstream providers in order to meet ARIN's criteria for assignment of
an ASN.  ARIN's ASN criteria are documented here:

http://www.arin.net/registration/guidelines/asn.html

jms