Address Space & ASN Allocation Process

sjk sjk at dredel.com
Mon Sep 26 22:46:34 UTC 2005

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005, Vicky Rode wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just trying to get some clarity and direction regarding obtaining
> address space/ASN for my client.
>
> Is there a minimum address space (?) an entity would need to justify to
> go directly to RIR (ARIN in this case) as opposed to the upstream
> provider? Is /20 the minimum allocation? Can my client approach RIR and
> request for a /23?
>
> If my client do procure a /23 how do they make make sure that this
> address space will be globally routable?
>
> Multihome will also be part of their network implementation, can they
> apply for an ASN number?

Yes, minimum assignment is /20 (and this is considered temporary, as the
official minimum is /19) -- there used to be some experimental /24s,
but I believe these are now gone. ARIN will only assign /20 or more --
larger prefixes must come from your upstream provider. Being multihomed
means you will be required to get an AS number. Once you have your address
block, you can fill out the request from ARIN.

--sjk