Network Map Generator

David Andersen dga+ at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Sep 26 20:11:18 UTC 2005

On Sep 26, 2005, at 3:59 PM, Joe Johnson wrote:

> I'm looking for a product or script that will let us generate a
> network map for use in conjunction with Nagios.  We have all of the
> parent/child dependencies defined in a SQL table, as well as the
> current status, but I can only find programs that will create a
> live map on my desktop.  I also looked at the graphing Pear module,
> but it seems that it cannot generate an org-chart type map of the
> network.
>
> Anyone know of something that will generate an org-chart like
> network map dynamically?

Depends how fancy you want it to be.  You can get a static map easily
using at&t's graphviz tools (dot):

http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/graphviz/

There's even WebDot so you can make the nodes clickable, though I
haven't tried that.  Dot is about as simple to use as anything that
exists.  Sometimes you'll be annoyed by the way it lays things out,
but it works.  Hope I interpreted your question correctly.

   -Dave