Why is it necessary to "tag" on-topic news cites?

jc dill lists05 at equinephotoart.com
Mon Sep 26 07:21:27 UTC 2005

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> I'm aware of quite a few people who have encouraged said poster to tag his
> off-topic posts for easy filtering, myself included.

A brief cite and quote from a news article discussing the status of
major networks (BellSouth Corp., SBC Communications, Cingular Wireless)
in North America following a huge storm that affected several states is
clearly on-topic for the North American Network Operators Group
discussion list.

> Ideally this material
> belongs in a blog with a comments section,

He has a blog.  He posts *many* more links to his blog each day than he
posts to nanog.  Since creating his blog, the links he posts to nanog
are, for the most part, on-topic for nanog.  Certainly the post that
triggered this discussion was on-topic for nanog.

> or in a seperate mailing list.
> Failing that, it needs to be tagged for easy filtering by those who aren't
> interested.

I'm confused.  Can you explain why the ON-TOPIC links he posts somehow
"need to be tagged"?

> Adding a subject tag
> also allows readers to match on the off-topic chatter spawned by these
> posts, not just the original post.

Why is this any different from the off-topic chatter spawned from other
posts?

jc