209.68.1.140 (209.68.1.0 /24) blocked by bellsouth.net for SMTP

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Sep 26 06:50:23 UTC 2005

On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 09:03:55PM -0700, jc dill wrote:

> p.s.  Speaking of "unreasonable requests" - I feel it is unreasonable
> for a member of the moderating committee to whine that he can't filter
> out "undesired" posts due to using a lame email client, and to then
> coerce a poster into "tagging" these posts.  I laud the poster for being
> willing to tag anyway, but think it's a very bad precedent that "tag
> because I'm using a lame email client and I'm on the moderating
> committee so you need to cater to my whims" is allowed to prevail.  I
> thought this was supposed to be a group of highly technical people who
> are expected to do whatever filtering is necessary on their own end...

I'm aware of quite a few people who have encouraged said poster to tag his
off-topic posts for easy filtering, myself included. Ideally this material
belongs in a blog with a comments section, or in a seperate mailing list.
Failing that, it needs to be tagged for easy filtering by those who aren't
interested.

Given the number of times this has come up for discussion, and the number
of people who have expressed dissatisfaction with these posts (without
even making any guesses as to which are in the majority and which are in
the minority), I don't think asking for them to be well-tagged is an
unreasonable request, no matter how possible it may be to match them via
another header if you ran a different mail client. Adding a subject tag
also allows readers to match on the off-topic chatter spawned by these
posts, not just the original post.

So far all we've accomplished with this debate is proving that there are
interested parties on both sides. I really don't think anyone has been
directly "against" the content in question, we just don't want this
operational and technical mailing list for network operations being taken
over by news and general technology chatter. My stance is that everything
has its place, and this material should be given its own. While I agree
that yes it is technically possible for every person who isn't interested
in this material to configure and maintain their own filters (and hit
delete a lot), it seems like just having those who ARE interested
subscribe to a new list or RSS feed to get it is easier.

Please, can't we just solve this with a little sanity, and stop these back
and forth pissing match threads and off-topic posts?