209.68.1.140 (209.68.1.0 /24) blocked by bellsouth.net for SMTP

Suresh Ramasubramanian ops.lists at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 05:24:06 UTC 2005

On 25/09/05, sigma at smx.pair.com <sigma at smx.pair.com> wrote:
> Yes, this is quite clearly the case; there are dozens of mutual customers
> who have forwarding rules setup.  We are not generating Spam to send to
> Bellsouth; it's coming from somewhere else and then being forwarded.

Kevin

When we face this situation with a site that has lots of forwarding
users pointing their accounts to mailbox on our service, what we
generally suggest is that you route email for forwarding users out
through a dedicated server, and let us know its a forwarder

So we dont count numbers from that IP in our filtering metrics, or at
least take into account that its a forwarder.  We also have feedback
loops setup so that if you get a loop from us you can stomp on either
spam origination (like a compromised script on a pair webserver) or
forwarded spam [whatever's leaking past your filters in large amounts
- you can catch that and block it at your end].  note:  If you know
its spam, if you detect it as spam (for example using spamassassin)
dont tag it and forward it on - 550 it, as a hard and fast rule.

[same case with aol i believe - not speaking for aol here]

I would suggest you do it that way - at least suggest this to bellsouth.

--srs (postmaster at outblaze.com)

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian (ops.lists at gmail.com)