209.68.1.140 (209.68.1.0 /24) blocked by bellsouth.net for SMTP

Michael Loftis mloftis at wgops.com
Sun Sep 25 04:15:28 UTC 2005

--On September 24, 2005 10:20:24 PM -0400 sigma at smx.pair.com wrote:

> Yes, this is quite clearly the case; there are dozens of mutual customers
> who have forwarding rules setup.  We are not generating Spam to send to
> Bellsouth; it's coming from somewhere else and then being forwarded.

At my $employer I have similar problems with AOL.  We occasionally get
blocked because of bone-headed AOL users thinking that report spam is the
same as delete, or thinking that report spam on forwarded mail is helpful,
when it's not.  It happens atleast once a month that one or more, or all of
our outbound MXers get blocked over at AOL with 4xx or 5xx errors that
result in me having to call postmaster to get them to remove it.  Also just
one hacked webform usually results in the same problem (we have thousands
of web hosting customers).  It's in our projects list to find 'some way' to
rate limit individual senders but it's not a high priority right now.

> I imagine that at some time in the future, forwarding e-mail might become
> impractical, if receiving systems insist on parsing it as originated or
> relayed Spam.

I've certainly brought up the idea of not allowing offsite forwarding to
AOL.  We already implemented no offsite catch-alls and I'd like to have
removed any possibility of doing catch-alls but management veto-ed me on
that one because of the high amount of customer complaints we'd get.

Sometimes, the 'cure' is definitely worse than the 'disease.'