Tools classifying network traffic to applications

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at mci.com
Thu Sep 22 15:02:58 UTC 2005

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Erik Haagsman wrote:

> Google for FlowScan and CUFlow

which can't really tell bittorrent (or ssh or aim or...) over tcp/80 from
http over tcp/80... I think Joe's looking for something that knows what
protocols look like below the port number and can spit out numbers for
that... these, it would seem to me, would all require in-line traffic
capture or mirrored port (mirrored traffic, not necessarily an ethernet
port mirror) to be effective.