MCI refusing to turn up OC-3 due to katrina relief efforts?

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Wed Sep 21 21:59:57 UTC 2005

On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 04:30:32PM -0400, Drew Weaver wrote:
> Howdy, has anyone heard of MCI putting orders on hold in order to help
> with the Katrina relief effort? We ordered an OC-3 from them about 2
> months ago and they've missed the install deadline 4 times now. The
> reseller we're working with said that they claim that they can't turn it
> up due to Katrina relief efforts. The local loop is installed and the
> port is connected, they just cant turn the order up.
>
> Has anyone else heard this or should I assume (as usual) the reseller is
> BS'ing me?
>
> -Drew

I was told they had four levels of priority.  The first is TSP [cf.
emergency service stuff [that probably would have been TSP had they
thought about it].  I don't remember what the third and fourth levels
are, but I assume that's where you are.

Since it took them days to get to some of the TSP sites, the rest must
be queued up back there.

It's also possible that your reseller is giving you a runaround, or that
there is some problem with the usually smooth interworking of competing
carrier companies [tongue firmly in cheek], or both.

--
Joe Yao