router worms and International Infrastructure

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Sep 20 22:34:38 UTC 2005

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 01:17:25 +0200, Gadi Evron said:
> And that's something I will drink to every day. What has happened with
> it since?

Exactly.

> > a) I'll be collecting a pension and not really caring before it happens.
> >
> > b) We have a curious patchwork of laws foisted upon us, from various state,
> > province, and country governments.
> >
> > In either case, I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for something workable
> > to show up - that's a long time to spend being an odd shade of blue....
>
> There are solutions that don't have to be based on legislation. I don't
> have all the answers but acknowledging the problems is something that
> should be done.

See likely outcome (a). Keep in mind that the problem isn't the providers that
already do altruistic things like BCP38, actually reading their abuse@ mailbox,
and dealing with zombied users.

Said solution will have to deal effectively with the problematic providers.  And
quite frankly, if they haven't gotten the ROI message regarding cleaning house *yet*,
they're unlikely to do it unless "Do it or go to jail/other penalties" happens.

To stem the usual flood of tired suggestions, I'd recommend *not* following up
with "If we all did XYZ" unless you have in fact gotten at least one problem
provider (whom you were *not* employed by at the time) to implement XYZ.