IOS exploit

Paul G paul at rusko.us
Mon Sep 19 14:45:12 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "J. Oquendo" <sil at politrix.org>
To: <nanog at nanog.org>
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 10:23 AM
Subject: IOS exploit

> "Supposedly"/"Allegedly"/"Theoretically", rumor mill has it that a worm
> exploit of sorts has been published. My Russian is so so, not good enough
> to make sense it a majority of what was posted. A translation made me want
> to yank my hair out.

i'll help with the translation :)

On Sept 9, Andrey Vladimirov (aka dr_nicodimus), known as a co-author of the
book 'Wi-Foo: The Secrets of Wireless Hacking', published information about
the end [result] of a "brainstorm session" aimed at [developing ways of]
exploiting vulnerabilities in software running on Cisco products.

This research has led to the development of techniques which can be used to
inject executable code into Cisco IOS as well as to write exploits and
shellcode for this platform. Methods of implementing a cross-platform worm
targetting IOS have also been developed. A plethora of vulnerabilities have
been discovered in the "firmware" implementation of the routing protocol
EIGRP. As a demonstration, an attack from one Cisco aimed at another was
successful in launching an irc server on the target.

--- not translating the rest, since it's largely non-technical and contains
a derogatory reference to coders in a certain asian country. ---

-p

---
paul galynin