OT - Vint Cerf joins Google

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Mon Sep 19 12:35:14 UTC 2005

It seems that the list doesn't like the attachments, anyway, the text show
the results for the awstats.

Hi,

Sorry the late answer, traveling and overbooked ... My reply below, in-line.

Regards,
Jordi

> De: Paul G <paul at rusko.us>
> Responder a: <owner-nanog at merit.edu>
> Fecha: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 00:54:25 -0400
> Para: <nanog at merit.edu>
> Asunto: Re: OT - Vint Cerf joins Google

The paper is here:

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1052812.1052821

I also know the author, and I'm sure is not exaggerating.

>> We notice in our web servers (which are dual stack), incredible amounts of
>> IPv6 traffic, increasing month by month.
>
> please define incredible using a non-subjective measurement system -
> absolute counts and percentages of total traffic will do. as stated above, i
> would likewise be interested in knowing how representative your traffic is
> of general internet usage. as an example, i would expect web servers for an
> incredibly popular site discussing v6 to have a disproportionate amount of
> v6 traffic.

Just look at the attached stats from this year in one of our web sites. Just
one, and not the one which has the bigger ratio of IPv6 vs. IPv4 traffic. Is
not an IPv6 site, just one of our customers. Can't say how much
representative is vs. Internet traffic, but for me is enough.

The file total.tiff includes ALL the traffic to the server (IPv4 and IPv6),
while the other one (ipv6_only) is just IPv6 traffic. If you compare what is
only IPv4 (total-IPv6) vs. IPv6, we have:

        IPv4        IPv6        %
Users   118.41 GB   10.38 GB    8.77
Robots  253.65 GB    2.64 GB    1.04

Conclusion: The users traffic is rising. No robots support IPv6 today
(probably this could change with people like Google and others doing IPv6).

Different conclusions can be extracted looking at the number of visitors,
visits, pages, hits, etc.

Is clear, that this depends on the user profile, may be even the region ? In
some regions the awareness has been much stronger (and probably successful)
and more users turn on IPv6 in their clients.

>> Do you want to guess what will happen with Vista, which comes with IPv6
>> enabled by default ?
>
> i don't like guessing, but if i were pressed, drunk or otherwise
> intoxicated, i'd say default support in client software is not the single
> bottleneck - being able to purchase v6 transit and have your v6 work as well
> as your v4 is another one that you can't really get around. i'm not up to
> date on these things, has someone figured out how we're multihoming with v6
> yet and, more importantly, got vendors to agree on and implement it?

I disagree here. If the clients have IPv6 support, even if tunneled, which
is enabled most of the time automatically (6to4, Teredo, others), the
traffic is already increasing specially peer to peer. Of course, the quality
is not so good as having native support, but some times it works much better
that having to trouble with NAT boxes and so on.

> -p
>
> ---
> paul galynin

The IPv6 Portal: http://www.ipv6tf.org