Calling all NANOG'ers - idea for national hardware price quote registry

Paul G paul at rusko.us
Fri Sep 16 23:53:14 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Marshall Eubanks" <tme at multicasttech.com>
To: <bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com>; "Matt Bazan" <Mbazan at onelegal.com>
Cc: <nanog at nanog.org>
Sent: Friday, September 16, 2005 7:36 PM
Subject: Re: Calling all NANOG'ers - idea for national hardware price quote
registry

> Am I the only one who feels that an NDA, even an NDA with a vendor, is an
> agreement that should be honored ?
>
> I know they  are silly in many case, but still...

yes, they are silly and, imo, highly unethical. with certain types of
equipment an individual vendor or a pair of vendors have a virtual monopoly,
so their actions and policies should be viewed in that light.

with that said, two wrongs don't make a right. if you try to make something
happen to change their behaviour, such as persuading them to act differently
or compelling them to do so through regulation or legislation - great and
many thanks. however, giving someone your word (this is what signing an
agreement means) - at least for me - means i'm going to keep it. if you are
not prepared to do so, don't give it/sign it. morality is about *your*
behaviour first and foremost, since you can't be held responsible for that
of others.

-p

---
paul galynin