Calling all NANOG'ers - idea for national hardware price quote registry

Warren Kumari Warren at kumari.net
Fri Sep 16 23:08:24 UTC 2005

>>     Uhh, make sure the data isn't stored anywhere vendor
>> X's attornies can get to it.  Rest assured, whoever hosts the
>> site would be sent paperwork in hours, if not minutes from
>> it's discovery.
>>

> If need be I'll off shore it.
>
>  Matt

Fine, you can build it and off-shore it, but I suspect that is a case
of "if you build it they will not come".

I think that people have made it fairly clear that this is a bad
idea, but I don't think that anyone is going to stop you building it.
  I am guessing that you will 1) get inflated prices because the
people who are getting the really good discounts are going to be the
ones with the most to lose personally and 2) lots of happy shiny
letters from vendor's lawyers asking you for logs. Whether or not you
have logs is largely irrelevant, you will still get the letters. I
don't know about you, but I have better things to do than a:
unnecessarily antagonize the same people that you presumable want to
get a good discount from and b: collect subpoenas.

Warren.
--
"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire,
and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." -- Terry Pratchett