Calling all NANOG'ers - idea for national hardware price quote registry

Charles Gucker cgucker at onesc.net
Fri Sep 16 22:44:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 03:37:08PM -0700, Matt Bazan wrote:

> a)  the quote was in fact from a particular company (sure, it may look
> darn similar - but prove?  and if you're really worried, fudge some
> details a bit)
> 	- sure, if it's a $10 million quote that's one thing.  But say a
> $150,000 quote?  Those are garden variety, least where I'm from (bay
> area, California).

	Well, httpd style logs will certainly "tell" where the information
came from.

> b)  who leaked it?  it's completely anonymous.  Think of all the 'senior
> government' officials that leak info all the time.  Often times they're
> expressly forbidden from doing so and somehow the word still gets out.
> Very rarely is someone nailed for it.  And that's hardly anonymous if
> push came to shove.

	Uhh, make sure the data isn't stored anywhere vendor X's attornies
can get to it.  Rest assured, whoever hosts the site would be sent paperwork
in hours, if not minutes from it's discovery.

	Btw, this is why froogle.google.com and pricewatch.com exist.
Although, they do not include list prices for the types of items you
are looking for.

charles