Calling all NANOG'ers - idea for national hardware price quote registry

Matt Ghali matt at snark.net
Fri Sep 16 20:52:47 UTC 2005

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005, Matt Bazan wrote:

  I don't know about you, but how many times have you wanted to know the
  price of hardware vendor a, vendor b and vendor c's product offering
  only to find out that you have to contact one of their sales reps, give
  them all your contact & company info (I'm sure you know the drill)
  listen to a sales spiel (or two, or three) maybe a webinar, or
  conference call or..etc. before finally getting a quote some time later?
  Only to then be bothered by endless follow up sales calls?

I've resigned myself to it being one of the things I get paid to do.

  Wouldn't it be great if there was an online, updated daily, website that
  listed real quotes oraganized by region in the country and company size?

No way that would ever happen. Companies especially in this market,
thrive on making deals in a vacuum. Availability of that sort of
imformation would force them to be slightly more competitive (and
have slightly more integrity)

  I think so.  Here's what I propose.  I will design and host a web site
  to organize just such info.  What I will need from all of you out there
  is your real time quotes (anonymously submitted is just fine, black out
  all the relevant personal/company info) and just include some general
  info on location (state for instance) and rough size of company.

and all zero folks who aren't bound by disclosure restrictions could
participate!

The more effective and less time-consuming way to solve this problem
is a discipline called "vendor management".

matto

              The only thing necessary for the triumph
              of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke