Calling all NANOG'ers - idea for national hardware price quote registry

Matt Bazan Mbazan at onelegal.com
Fri Sep 16 20:23:29 UTC 2005

I don't know about you, but how many times have you wanted to know the
price of hardware vendor a, vendor b and vendor c's product offering
only to find out that you have to contact one of their sales reps, give
them all your contact & company info (I'm sure you know the drill)
listen to a sales spiel (or two, or three) maybe a webinar, or
conference call or..etc. before finally getting a quote some time later?
Only to then be bothered by endless follow up sales calls?

Wouldn't it be great if there was an online, updated daily, website that
listed real quotes oraganized by region in the country and company size?

That way, if you wanted to, say, know that latest prices for 2TB fibre
channel SAN enclosures from company A and company B you pull up the site
and boom, you have a nice fairly accurate idea of what you'll pay for a
company of your size and location?

I think so.  Here's what I propose.  I will design and host a web site
to organize just such info.  What I will need from all of you out there
is your real time quotes (anonymously submitted is just fine, black out
all the relevant personal/company info) and just include some general
info on location (state for instance) and rough size of company.

I'll take care of the rest.  Comments?

  Matt