CAT5 surge/lightning strike protection recommendations?

Robert E.Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Wed Sep 14 12:33:20 UTC 2005

Todd Vierling <tv at duh.org> writes:

> Seriously, though, that's exactly what you're describing, and about what I'd
> suggest in a no-other-option scenario -- but if it's possible to pull fiber
> through the conduits, it would probably be far less expensive long term, or
> even medium term if the physical fiber spools can be bought cheaply enough.

For those who haven't priced the stuff lately, in spools of 1000' the
per-foot prices of 2-strand MM tight buffered fiber suitable for
pulling in conduits like he (hopefully) has tends to be
price-competitive with cat5 on a per-foot basis.  Extra strands are
cheap; the pricey part of fiber is the jacket and strength members;
even super-pure glass is not that expensive overall.

The expensive parts in the equation turn out to be the termination
trays and connectors.

                                        ---Rob