mail service with no mx (was - Re: Computer systems blamed for feeble hurricane response?)

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Wed Sep 14 06:09:54 UTC 2005

>> Application layer firewalls have existed for at least 6 years.
>>
> Make that 15....

I suspect that claiming to that they existed farther back than 1990 would
require careful debate about the functionality.

Taking it at its most general: a boundary barrier service that mediated
particular application exchanges between an "interior" Administrative
Environment, versus the rest of the public network.  One can reasonably argue
than any such mediation has a security component to it.

Therefore one could argue that firewall functionality was around at least 25
years ago -- there were a number of email boundary gateway mediating services
by then -- and very probably back to 1973.  (I just know that some MIT type is
going to claim pre-1970, given the generality of the definition I offered.)

d/
--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking