CAT5 surge/lightning strike protection recommendations?

Todd Vierling tv at duh.org
Wed Sep 14 03:04:02 UTC 2005

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005, David Lesher wrote:

> Put a fiber transceiver in building A. At least 10 foot away,
> put in a 2nd transceiver and connect THAT to the CAT5 going to
> building B.  Connect A & B wallwarts to different breakers, with
> surge protectors....and stock spares.o

That's an amazingly expensive optoisolator.

Seriously, though, that's exactly what you're describing, and about what I'd
suggest in a no-other-option scenario -- but if it's possible to pull fiber
through the conduits, it would probably be far less expensive long term, or
even medium term if the physical fiber spools can be bought cheaply enough.