Multi-6 [WAS: OT - Vint Cerf joins Google]

Tony Li tony.li at tony.li
Tue Sep 13 20:38:27 UTC 2005

> Waitaminute - isn't the whole *purpose* of layer 3
> that the network makes these routing decisions?
>
> If there are N routers in an ISP, I would expect the
> ISP to connect to X endsystems, where 10N < X < 1000N.
> How does knowing about X endsystems scale better than
> knowing about N intermediate systems?
>
> Am I missing something here?

I think there's some misunderstanding.  Nothing has to know about X
endsystems.  Nor did anything have to know about N routers before.

In the shim6 approach, a host only needs to know about its correspondent
hosts.  From a scalability perspective, this is unchanged from
previously, only the constants are bigger.

Tony