Multi-6 [WAS: OT - Vint Cerf joins Google]

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 13 18:24:31 UTC 2005

--- Mikael Abrahamsson <swmike at swm.pp.se> wrote:

> The "shimming" model is a way to solve this by the
> endsystems knowing
> about multihoming, instead of the network. I
> personally think this is a
> better idea and scales much better. Let's have the
> network moving packets
> as its primary goal, not solving "how do I reach
> this prefix" equations.

Waitaminute - isn't the whole *purpose* of layer 3
that the network makes these routing decisions?

If there are N routers in an ISP, I would expect the
ISP to connect to X endsystems, where 10N < X < 1000N.
How does knowing about X endsystems scale better than
knowing about N intermediate systems?

Am I missing something here?

David Barak
http://www.listentothefranchise.com