Katrina Network Damage Report

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Mon Sep 12 17:24:07 UTC 2005

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Howard, W. Lee wrote:

> Maybe I missed an intermediate post or two, but is the assertion
> here that IPv6 is more secure because it's impractical to scan such
> a large number of possible host IP addresses?  Sort of like zebra
> camouflage--it's easy to see the herd, but hard to see a single
> zebra.

I didn't assert that it was more secure, rather that scanning as it works
now, to collect the ip's of exploitable embedded or other devices is
infeasible.

Miscreants will of course looks for other ways if they can't feasibly
scan. The IETF is full of resource discovery mechanism work and there's no
reason to expect that those selfsame mechanisms wouldn't be subverted to
other ends. There's no point in conneccting a device to the internet if
you can't find it or manange it.

As my firewall logs would testify though, host discovery throught probing
is one of the low hanging fruit.

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu