MEDIA: eBay to Acquire Skype

william(at)elan.net william at elan.net
Mon Sep 12 17:11:04 UTC 2005

Let me play Paul Ferguson for a second ... :
(and I wonder if we'll soon be trading voip minutes on ebay :)

http://finance.lycos.com/home/news/story.asp?story=51709287

      eBay to Acquire Skype
      - Sep 12, 2005 06:00 AM (BusinessWire)

LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 12, 2005--eBay Inc.
(Nasdaq:EBAY) www.ebay.com) has agreed to acquire Luxembourg-based
Skype Technologies SA, the global Internet communications company, for
approximately $2.6 billion in up-front cash and eBay stock, plus
potential performance-based consideration. The acquisition will
strengthen eBay's global marketplace and payments platform, while
opening several new lines of business and creating significant new
monetization opportunities for the company. The deal also represents a
major opportunity for Skype to advance its leadership in Internet
voice communications and offer people worldwide new ways to
communicate in a global online era. Skype, eBay and PayPal will create
an unparalleled ecommerce and communications engine for buyers and
sellers around the world.