OT - Vint Cerf joins Google

Eric Gauthier eric at roxanne.org
Mon Sep 12 14:18:45 UTC 2005

> > 8% seems high to me as well, I don't think I've ever seen my v6 traffic
> > over 1% honestly :(
>
> These estimates seem way high and need support. Here is a counter-example.
>
> Netflow on Internet 2 for last week
>
> http://netflow.internet2.edu/weekly/20050829/
>
> has 6.299 Gigabytes being sent by IPv6, out of a total 383.2 Terabytes,
> or 0.0016%

Not that I have any knowledge or expectations one way or another, but I
think there is a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparision going on here.

The Internet2 graphs all appear to be packets/octets whereas the other
estimates were for hits to a web site, which is probably more comparible
to flow counts than packet counts.  I quickly looked and didn't see any
flow charts in I2's Netflow site, but I'd be interested to see what
percentage of I2's flow's are v6.

Eric :)